Friday, June 29, 2007

What Motivates You?

2 Corinthians 5:14-15
[14] For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: [15] And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.


ANZAC Day in Australia is a day for Australians to reflect on the soldiers of Australia and New Zealand who gave their lives on the battlefield for our freedom. Living in Canberra I have visited the Australian War Memorial numerous times and can say that there is no place in Australia that fires up my patriotism than the Australian War Memorial. Before I die, I would love to visit Gallipoli in Turkey and be able participate in the ANZAC day dawn service at that location.

I am greatly moved when we think about John Simpson Kirkpatrick and the donkey. An unlikely national hero, Simpson enlisted in the army, expecting this would give him the chance to get back to England; instead, Private Simpson found himself at ANZAC Cove on 25 April 1915, and was killed less than four weeks later. Simpson was instructed to recover and help the wounded and he undertook this work enthusiastically. Famously, he used a small donkey to carry men down from the front line, often exposing himself to fire. The bravery of this "man with the donkey" soon became the most prominent symbol of Australian courage and tenacity.

The blood of Australians was spilled on countless battlefronts around the world. The memory constrains me to be a better Australian and a more loyal Australian.

In the spiritual realm there is a parallel. In the text above, the apostle Paul said that he was constrained, he was compelled to do what he did because of the love of Christ. Love that caused Jesus to give his very life for me! Paul said, "how can I live for my own pleasures when Christ lived His life to bring about my redemption”. The price that Jesus paid requires more than an ordinary response! The price that Jesus paid requires more than a simple hallelujah, amen or thankyou Jesus.

Does the reminder of Calvary constrain you? The cross should remind us that we were purchased by the blood of Jesus Christ!

Our passion should not be based on what we can get from him, but for what he has done for us. Our love should not be based on healings or monetary blessing, He should not have to give us anything else. He doesn’t have to do anything else to prove to me that He loves me.
That's my five minutes!

No comments: